Orthopedic Rehab Red Flags
Every therapist's nightmare.... your patient walks in and something that you see or something the patient tells you makes "bells ring"....a RED FLAG! This course helps therapists identify orthopedic red flags. It specifically examines Venous Thromboembolism and Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome in depth- including risk, prevalence, identification, pathophysiology and treatment. This course also helps identify psychosocial factors/flags that can lead to chronic pain/conditions. Let us help you make good decisions when confronted with red flags.
Methods of Instruction:
Online video course
Chris Cox, PhD, MPT, CSCS
Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapist Assistants and Athletic Trainers.
Course Goals and Objectives:
At the completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Differentiate between types of flags present in the clinical setting
- Recognize commonly ignored orthopedic red flags
- Identify "immediate referral" red flags
- Recognize the prevalence and signs/symptoms of Venous Thromboembolism
- Identify "unusual populations" for VTE
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome
- Differentiate between treatment options for CRPS
- Identify psychosocial factors related to pain and work
- Recognize standardized questionnaires to determine if a patient is likely to develop a chronic condition
- Differentiate between occupational and personal barrier flags
Criteria for Obtaining Continuing Education Credits:
A score of 70% or greater on the post-test
AdvantageCEUs.com is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID # 7332. This distance learning-independent course is offered at 0.1 CEUs, Intermediate level, OT Service Delivery/Foundational Knowledge. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by the AOTA.